December 29, 2010

Will We Ever Get A Full-night's Rest Again @ the Christiansen Household?...

Last night was night "1" of our "get-Elsie-to-sleep-through-the-night" routine :) It was ok. We are new parents, and we have learned the hard way that we should have broken bad habits while our baby was small (or better yet - not have started any bad habits in the first place!). We are now trying to figure it all out. Last night, we put baby cereal mixed in with Elsie's bottle she had before she went to sleep. Elsie is still waking up at least 2 times a night to eat. I figure we will try to break one feeding at a time. We decided to kick the 2nd feeding first. Last night she woke up as usual, we gave her a bottle, (she only drank about 3 oz. of it), then she woke up about 1 1/2 hours later, drank 3 more ounces, then she woke up again around 5. I went into her room, bent over her crib, put my cheek to hers and whispered in her ear that it was night-night time and she needed to go back to sleep. I told her I loved her, rolled her to her side, rubbed her back, kissed her and left the room. She didn't like that very much. Then I went back in 5 minutes later, said and did the exact same thing. I did it again 10 more minutes later, then again 15 minutes later (so far at this time it is 5:30 - it had been 1/2 an hour). I started the process again, 5 minutes, 10 minutes and before the 2nd 15 minutes was up, she had gone back to sleep. She cried for 1 hour. It was so hard on me. I hated every minute of it! The whole time I laid there counting minutes between when I went back into her room, I was thinking of how I want to do it differently with our next child so I don't have to ever go through this again. I am hoping tonight goes a little better, but who knows? Please pray for me and feel free to share advice. You can call me if it is too much to type :) Until then...enjoy your full nights rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment