June 2, 2011

Coxsackie

I said the same thing... "What?" We noticed that Elsie wasn't feeling very good, but I had no idea what wasn't feeling good. She wasn't eating very much and started to get whiney. She has been getting her molars all month, so I just thought it was that. Then I noticed some red dots on the top of her feet, then her fever got higher than usual. Last Tuesday, I took her into the doctor (she weighed 23 pounds - man she is getting big!) when her fever was still 102 after me giving her Tylenol an hour before. The doctor was quick to diagnose her with coxsackie (I had to have him write it down so I could remember it - and pronounce it!) She had blisters in the back of her throat. I felt like a horrible mom. I guess coxsackie is a form of "hand, foot and mouth disease" I have NO IDEA where she got this from! All I know is that it was the worst 4 days of our lives! For 3 days straight Elsie only drank milk. She WOULD NOT eat anything! It was so sad! On Wednesday, she took a bite of a strawberry, swallowed it and then immediately cried and wouldn't eat anymore. It was so sad. The only thing I could give her was Tylenol and Ibuprofen for her high fever. Tuesday, I gave her medicine when we got home from the doctor and she immediately threw it up. I called the doctor and I they told me I couldn't give her more medicine for another 3 hours. Well in about 2 hours, her temperature was 103.2. Josh was working, and I sat on the couch holding my lethargic, fevered one year old and cried. I called Josh about 5 times at work (usually I call him MAYBE twice all day) I called the doctor at least 4 times (pretending like I wasn't crying - I know the nurse could tell I was crying). The nurse told me a fever that high is normal with coxsackie and to keep watching it and if it got to 104 to bring her in. It never got that high. I didn't want to have to take Elsie out, but I knew she needed a priesthood blessing. Josh couldn't leave work. Luckily my 2 good neighbors were awake (it was about 10:30 pm at this point) and came and gave Elsie a blessing. She was doing a lot better after that. She finally slept. The next few days were a blur. All I remember is that she would not eat anything and she didn't want to walk around and play. It was rough. I finally got her to eat popscicles. She liked that. I am so glad to have our baby girl back and healthy!


Elsie had been asleep for about 2 hours. She woke up and I gave her medicine and she was feeling a little better. I was finally able to put her down and get a few things done. It had only been 5 or 10 minutes when she was back asleep...this is how she fell asleep. I felt so bad.


The doctor asked me how long Elsie had been drooling. I told him she had been teething for over a month...

This drool is the result of Elsie not swallowing ANY of her spit. So sad. Her throat hurt so bad she couldn't swallow anything! I never knew she even had this much spit!



Elsie enjoying her popsicle. This was Thursday afternoon, she ate 4 popscicles this size. I didn't care. I was so glad she was eating! I am so glad that Elsie is all better now! Coxsackie is something I hope no other child (or mom and dad) ever has to deal with! It was a rough couple of days!

No comments:

Post a Comment