Tuesday, February 23rd I was teaching my 8th period foods class when I randomly checked my cell phone, there was a text at 2:11 from Amanda that read, "I'm in labor!" My heart started pounding and I couldn't think straight. All the things I knew I needed to get done before she came started rushing through my mind. I was a little stressed. I immediately called Josh to tell him, he said, "Are you sure? Did she say she was at the hospital?" I then called Amanda to make sure she wasn't joking :) I rushed to get things for my sub done, then rushed home, packed the rest of my stuff and Josh and I were on the road by 4:30. WOW!! I wish we would have flown. It was a long car drive. I received a text at 7:51 from Amanda "She is beautiful" we were only to Nephi. We were ecstatic!! We decided to let Amanda and her family have time and rest together, so Josh and I stayed at my mom's house in Sandy. We supposedly slept. Early in the morning we headed to Logan. We stopped and got Amanda some beautiful flowers and a Coke (she had mentioned she was excited to have Coke again - thank you Amanda for taking such good care of your body for our sweet little Elsie!) Then we got to the hospital - it took us a minute to find where they were. We got to the window and we told them we were there to see Amanda, they asked us what room she was in and told us we couldn't go in unless we knew her room number, so we called Amanda. Then the nurse at the window said, "Wait, are you the adoptive couple?" We said yes and she let us in. Our hearts were pounding so fast. They checked with her nurse to ok us going into the room. We finally walked in and saw Amanda, Jill and Elsie (although she wasn't officially named yet :) ) There were no words. I think that at that instant, we felt almost every emotion possible. It was a little awkward, but we have a true love for Amanda and her family. We got to hold sweet Elsie and bond with Amanda and Jill. It was a very special experience. This day was so hard because we wanted to spend every moment with Amanda and Elsie, but we knew that Amanda's time with Elsie was short, so we tried to give her as much time alone as possible. We only stayed for 20 minutes or so. We left and drove around Logan (there isn't much to do there if you are wondering :) ) We found a hotel to stay in. We went to Wal-Mart. Then we went and got something to eat (I didn't eat much, my stomach was all in knots because I was so excited!) Then Josh and I went to the movie and saw "Sherlock Holmes" (I tried to get Josh to go to "Valentines Day" but I lost :) ) it was an ok movie, but it may be because our minds were on someone much more special! Then we went to our hotel, Josh went swimming and I checked my email. Then we headed back to the hospital. Elsie is so beautiful!! It is so tender seeing Amanda hold her. Amanda is such a strong young woman, I am so proud of her! We stayed a bit, then her doctor was coming in, so Josh and I left and went and got dinner at Wingers. We went back to the hospital after and stayed for a few hours. It was nice and relaxing to sit and visit with Amanda and her mom. Josh and I left around 9:00 or so. All this time, we were so nervous that Amanda might change her mind. Elsie is so perfect, it was hard for us to fathom what was to come. We hardly slept that night. We got up the next morning, got ready, went and ate breakfast at IHop, then we went to the mall and walked around. Then we went to Wal-Mart, then we drove up by the Logan temple (ps. we were so mad we didn't bring stuff to go to the temple while we were there!) Then we went to the other Wal-Mart (we remembered we forgot our flowers for Jill :) ) and while we were sitting in the car in the parking lot, we got a call from Becca (Amanda's caseworker) to come to the agency for placement. I was overcome with emotion. We got there and took in our gifts and the carseat, hoping we would be leaving with a sweet baby girl. We went in and sat in a room and reviewed some of our paperwork. Then Becca and Sara told us that we couldn't sign any of our paperwork until Amanda signed hers. So they left to go with Amanda. Josh and I sat in that room for 30 minutes waiting. We were hoping she would sign, we were so excited. We really were so calm. The spirit was definitely present. We just talked while we waited. Then Becca and Sara came back in and we signed our papers, then Amanda wanted a little more time with Elsie (I don't blame her!), so we all talked about what was going to take place. Becca went and checked, and it was time for us to go in, the spirit was so strong, I immediately started shaking and tears came to my eyes, "Was this really happening?" We got into the room and Amanda, Elsie, Bob and Jill were there. I gave Amanda a hug and sat right next to her. Then we all shared our thoughts, what a special time. I am so proud of Amanda and her strength, she is such a beautiful girl. The was probably the hardest hour of my life. My heart ached for Amanda and her family. It was so hard to know what to say. All I could think was that I would have a lifetime to let Amanda and her family know how grateful we were for them and the love we have for them. Then we exchanged gifts, I got to open the gifts we got for Amanda because she didn't want to put Elsie down (once again, I don't blame her :) ) After we exchanged gifts, we took some pictures. Then Becca said, "Ok Amanda, its time, when you are ready" Holy crap! I wasn't ready for the emotions that came over me! I have so much love, admiration and respect for Amanda! I hope I can do my best to let her know how much we love and appreciate her decision to give us such a precious, special gift. I plan to tell Elsie all about Amanda every day! I can't wait for the days when Elsie starts asking questions. Amanda, Elsie will always know you love her and hopefully she understands why you made the decision you did. We love you and we love Elsie!!!! We promise to always do what is best for Elsie and to let you know how she is doing!!! THANK YOU!!! You are a true answer to our prayers.
Proud new daddy!!!
Bob, Jill, Amanda, Elsie, Josh and I - Placement day
Proud new grandma and cousin, Kandyce
No comments:
Post a Comment